May 18th, 2013
The new Summer Collection is full of a wide variety of fun bright prints, skirts with pockets, and versatile dresses for casual and dressy occasions. For more details go to our website or stop by the boutique to try on a selection of the samples in size small and/or medium. To order shop online, in the boutique, or give us a call! 503. 282. 3200
May 15th, 2013
If you’ve been catching our updates on Facebook then you may have noticed that we’ve been busy (as always!) turning out some pretty exciting pieces for our next collection. So, what do we have in store for you this Summer? Vivid color, dresses & tops in playful prints, and stylish skirts with handy pockets. What’s the element of surprise? We’ve given each each piece a dash of flattering western flare. Yeeehaw! Keep tuned to our fan page to catch sneak peaks of more completed designs as they head into production!
The Garnish Gals
May 11th, 2013
We hope all Moms are spoiled rotten for Mother’s Day! Why not treat her to something fun and local? We have the perfect Spring ensemble ! Celebrate your mother with a feminine yet funky outfit perfect for a confident woman of any age! Pair our bright striped Beatrice Skirt and feminine black Elena top with some funky hoops by Betsy and Iya, a set of delicate bangles, and killer shoes by the always comfortable Tsubo! Below are links to all the pieces! Mom’s Rock!
Earrings – Betsy and Iya – James John Hoop Earrings (http://shop.betsyandiya.com/collections/earrings/products/james-john-hoop-earrings)
Shoes – Tsubo “Sallis” – Ped X available in store only (http://www.pedxshoes.com/)
Bracelets – Imelda and Louie’s http://imeldas.com/store/product.php?productid=3091&cat=97&co=30763
Skirt – Garnish -Beatrice Skirt – Tried and True https://www.garnishapparel.com/shop/products/Beatrice-Skirt-%252d-Tried-and-True-.html
Top – Garnish – Elena Top – Black https://www.garnishapparel.com/shop/products/Elena-Top-%252d-Black.html
March 27th, 2013
We’re throwing a party! Join us at our Pearl District location on Friday, April 5th from 6-9pm. We will be celebrating the in-store arrival of our Spring 2013 and White Label by Garnish collections like never before!
Mark your calendars and grab the girls. Here is what you can expect at the “From Behind The Lens” spring soiree:
*Live Cuban music by Portland latin sound standout, Xavier Tavera Band*
*Prizes and giveaways including a $500 Garnish shopping spree!*
*Complimentary cocktails featuring New Deal Distillery spirits (21+).*
*Complimentary Dead Guy Ale courtesy of Rogue Ales (21+).*
*Savory hor d’oeuvres and sweets.*
*A fashion show featuring the newest Garnish styles of the season.*
* Select styles from Au Clothing, the in demand fashion line by Garnish team member and current Project Runway Season 11 contestant Michelle Lesniak Franklin.*
*A preview and chance to pre-order designs from Garnish’s upcoming summer lines before they hit the racks.*
The giveaways don’t end there!
Post your BEST party pics on Facebook and TAG Garnish for a chance to WIN a $100 Garnish Gift Certificate. The lucky winner will be selected and announced the next day!
This is one spring bash you don’t want to miss.
See you on April 5th!
February 22nd, 2013
Late Spring Collection Inspiration Board
Coming together to design the next wave of Garnish pieces is something we always look forward to. Armed with pre-drawn sketches, plenty of #2 pencils, fashion clippings, and a little bit of vino we dove right into our magic hat of ideas for the late spring collection. The consensus was clear this round- the 70′s are calling. Like the iconic Carly Simon strumming her guitar, we picture the Garnish Gal grooving to her favorite bands at an outdoor festival. She may be attending a dinner party on a veranda. Or she’s celebrating a dear friend’s wedding day. What did that translate to us? Dresses, dresses, dresses! Gorgeous pieces that would be versatile enough to wear at a picnic in the park and be party ready in no time.
Garnish Manager Kate presents some inspiration for a silhouette.
A sketch gets re-worked with every new and exciting idea.
Our fearless leader, Erica considers a dress from this soft salmon & black chevron fabric.
No fabrics are left unexplored. Could we see these two together?
After a long and productive night we couldn’t be more excited with what we have in store for you! The new late spring collection will be brimming with feminine shapes and nostalgic silhouettes in the most romantic and dreamy of fabrics. Imagine fit flattering dresses in soft tones of blue, green, and purple plums. All with a mix of charming lace and captivating textures. We think we just may be onto something psychedelically wonderful with this one!
February 8th, 2013
We just can’t help it. Pretty things full of color and sweetness inspire us. And one thing is super clear this month…LOVE IS ALL AROUND! (Awwwwww).
pins that have our "sappy" wheels turning.
We have pinned some of our favorite Valentine’s Day inspirations on Pinterest. Click here to see our complete Love Day Mood Board. Maybe you’ll get some “oh so sweet” ideas too!
February 3rd, 2013
Strike a pose! We are gearing up for the debut of our newest premium fashion line- the White Label Collection by Garnish. Inspired by the latest runway looks, the line is brimming with boldness and color. Here’s a quick sneak peek of today’s photo shoot!
Maxine Dress - White Label Collection by Garnish
Leigh Dress - White Label Collection by Garnish
Head over to our website to view all White Label styles and upcoming spring designs. You can pre-order any of your favorite pieces in your size now through Wednesday February 6th. Act soon or take a chance at finding them in our boutiques. Some styles and sizes may not make it to the racks!
Click HERE to go see the spring collections.
January 19th, 2013
Being an independent business we come across many great resources, both within the community and our customer base. We would love to share them with you. In this edition of Garnish Loves we are shining the spotlight on one of our dearest customers, Rachel Novak, a Financial Representative at Broad River. We love Rachel and if ever you get a chance to work with her we know you would love her too!
Get to know Rachel personally:
Q & A with Rachel:
G: What is your favorite thing to do in Portland?
R: “Try new restaurants; when I can get a babysitter”
G: And your favorite Restaurant is?
R: “Screen Door”
G: Where do you wear Garnish?
R: “To work everyday!”
G: Do you have a favorite Garnish piece?
R: “Red French Kiss Sylvie Dress” (which she is wearing in the picture above!)
G: How do you style it?
R: “With a black sweater and black boots”
G: What is the most exciting thing that’s happened to you in the past few years?
R: “Had a baby boy, Max. It has been the most exciting and exhausting thing I’ve ever done!”
G: What do you like to do on the weekend?
R: “Take a walk on Alberta Street and go to the park with my son or have a cup of coffee over a play date.”
Professionally, Rachel dedicates herself to helping others maintain a balanced state of financial health. She helps her clients organize their finances, identify where money is dripping off their balance sheet, and reallocate that money to build wealth and plan for a better future. Rachel makes a positive difference in her clients’ lives by taking a comprehensive approach to their financial lives. She works with her clients one-on-one to co-author strategies to enhance their financial well-being through a wide range of products and services including life insurance, disability insurance, health insurance, employee benefits, college funding, wealth accumulation, retirement planning or estate design…..all leading to improved financial security.
If you are interested in the scope of work that Rachel does, her number is (503)207-4509. She would be happy to talk with you over a cup of tea…and she will probably be wearing something from Garnish!
January 15th, 2013
Inspiration Board Spring Collection 2013
Last week the Garnish Gals gathered after hours to brainstorm designs for the early Spring Collection. It’s an interesting and challenging process bringing all of our ideas together into a cohesive line, but it’s always a lot of fun and we think we’ve nailed it for our upcoming collection.
Jade and Erica are dreaming up a bold top and skirt ensemble.
Our spring collection will feature sophisticated geometric prints, black and white stripes, edgy leather details, and statement fabrics in reds, royals, turquoises, and olives. We’ve tapped into the wonder of color, bold prints, and unexpected touches to bring you a plethora of fun and freshness this season.
Stripes and Paisleys... what will you turn into?
Although we like to think of ourselves as contemporary (with a nod to vintage), we have never tried to be trendy. But there are some trends that, when done right, are worth jumping on the band wagon for. When we saw this big, bold geometric print it just shouted MAXI DRESS! So we had to listen. We are making it in two colorways, but only have enough to make 6 dresses per colorway. So stay tuned to pre-order one as these sexy numbers might not even make it to the racks!
- We were channeling our inner James Bond Girl for this dress!
January 10th, 2013
Photo credit: Katie Simon
We have are thrilled to share this news with you all!
A Garnish Gal is on her way to the runway, Project Runway that is! Michelle Lesniak Franklin, team member and friend, has been selected to compete on Season 11 of Project Runway set to air on Lifetime January 24th. We are beyond excited to tune in and root for her as she takes on the competition.
Au Clothing stylish waist length raincoat shown over Au Clothing Knit Dress
Michelle took a chance and left behind a decade long career in the wine industry to follow her true passion, design. She has since been recognized as one of “3 Designers to Watch” by The Oregonian and has continued to woo fashionistas with her line, Au Clothing, that, in Michelle’s words, “celebrates the smart, sassy, articulate, nerdy woman.” Since she joined Garnish in May, we’ve had so much fun working with Michelle and being privy to her extraordinary creative energy and rock-star sense of style!
Customer, Carol Wessinger, in Au clothing.
Michelle’s bold and edgy aesthetic has brought a wonderful spirit to Garnish’s collaborative design process. From what we’ve been able to sneak a peek at online, it’s said that this season will feature more team challenges than ever before. Michelle is a strong team player. Can we just say that we are super confident that she has what it takes to go far in the competition. Let’s hear it for Michelle!
Click here to watch her Project Runway Bio.
Au clothing available online and at the Garnish, Pearl District boutique.
December 1st, 2012
Questionnaire for Garnish Gals:
1. Favorite food: Wood Fired Pizza in Italy and wine (ummm is that considered a food? I think so- grapes right?l)
2. The 3 things you would take on a desert island with you: cheese (native Wisconsinite) , a bottle of wine, and my boyfriend Brian. (probably wouldn’t last too long I know, but at least I would be happy and have someone to talk to)
3. If I wasn’t so chicken I would….Move to a Vineyard in Italy
4. Your dream house would have this. -a wood burning sauna and a huge wrap around porch.
5. Best Memory – Family Cabin time
6. Worst Fear – snakes and spiders
7. If I could travel anywhere I would….go to Italy again(umm have I mentioned that I love Italy yet?! haha!), Prague, and Spain
8. Favorite Book - Still in search of that.
9. Favorite movie - Shawshank Redemption, Mystic River, and as a contrast I love any silly 80’s movies like Teen Wolf or pretty much anything with Steve Martin.
10. The best part of my day is...a cup of coffee on the couch with my Herbinator (my corgi)
11. If you want to make my day you should….get me a massage at Dragontree!
12. I wish more people would- slow down and be kind to others
13. If I could have lunch with anyone from past or present it would be…off the cuff….Frida Kahlo would be interesting (such amazing difficulties she overcame in her lifetime)
14. I have a soft spot for: dogs of all kinds, but especially puppies! I mean, come on!
15. I am going out in Portland. You are likely to see me.. 0n a patio for happy hour or at the cheap movie theatre with a beer and a slice of pizza
16. Something most people don’t know about me – I used be a competitive snowboarder in slope-style (which is trick based)
October 22nd, 2012
1. Favorite food:
Any kind of fruit, Grits, Almonds, Hazelnut chocolate, or Sea salt caramel gelato
2. The 3 things you would take on a desert island with you:
A knife, a water filtration system, and a friend
3. If I wasn’t so chicken I would….
4. Your dream house would have this.
A sail and a rudder
5. Best Memory
My childhood. I grew up on a barrier island in North Florida, so every day was an adventure.
6. Worst Fear
7. If I could travel anywhere I would….
…sail around the world
8. Favorite Book
Too many good ones to pick just one!
9. Favorite movie:
10. The best part of my day is…
…waking up to slobbery kisses from my dog or my husband
11. If you want to make my day you should….
Give me Ferrero Rocher chocolates
12. I wish more people would….
13. If I could have lunch with anyone from past or present it would be…
14. I have a soft spot for:
15. I am going out in Portland. You are likely to see me…
…somewhere with a patio.
16. Something most people don’t know about me
I can be brutally honest.
August 24th, 2012
Many of you who have been in Garnish know Shannon: the tall, sweet, and of course gorgeous seamstress extraordinaire! Get to know Shannon a bit better…
1. Favorite food: cheese, bacon wrapped dates, guacamole, brussel sprouts, my mom’s chile rellenos, anything with brown butter, toasted nuts or artichokes.
2. The 3 things you would take on a desert island with you: this may not be a very exciting answer but these are things I would need to avoid going crazy: a book, chapstick, a cute dude
3. If I wasn’t so chicken I would….dance
4. Your dream house would have this: a sauna in the backyard and an outdoor shower
5. Best Memory – a night out with Sam in Istanbul listening to local musicians and being taught dances. Then the bar was raided by the police and it was the one night we left the hotel without out our passports. The locals at the bar shielded us from the commotion and took good care of us and we ate lamb kabobs.
6. Worst Fear - spiders, cancer and bears
7. If I could travel anywhere I would….go back to Italy. Every time.
8. Favorite Book – The Border Trilogy by McCarthy.
9. Favorite movie – A Room with a View
10. The best part of my day is…early morning and being the first one awake.
11. If you want to make my day you should….smile at me. Or maybe cook me food.
12. I wish more people would (including myself…chill the fuck out)
13. If I could have lunch with anyone from past or present it would be…my dad
14. I have a soft spot for: my daughters, when they are sleeping.
15. I am going out in Portland… You are likely to see me…at Tasty N’ Sons having a plate of cauliflower, and their Ragu with a glass of white wine and chocolate potato donuts for dessert. Or at Interurban having the cocktail “Blood and Sand” and the Chop Chop Salad. Or at Lucca having a “Luccarita” and a margherita pizza with calabrian chilies and arugula. Or at Laurelhurst Market having Pork and polenta and some sort of whiskey drink. Or at The Woodsman having fries with Sirracha and a couple of Kentucky Specials. Or at Denny’s in my pajamas having Moons over my Hammy. Maybe at Nostrana having their raddichio salad and salted caramel dessert.
16. Something most people don’t know about me – sorry but I am the least private person I know so most people end up knowing everything about me!
August 2nd, 2012
After some research into the upcoming trends for this Fall, we are really excited about some of them! Some of the bigger trends to look for include…
Kate Middleton inspired sheath body hugging dresses, military inspired womenswear, glitter (can you believe it?), lots of embellishments from embroidery to sparkling beads, hats hats hats, mixing patterns, patterned tailored suits, winter whites, oxblood red, velvet, and fur accents. We are really excited to design some velveteen skirts and mix some patterns together for our Fall collections!
July 21st, 2012
June 22nd, 2012
May 24th, 2012
We are really excited about the progress in our second location opening soon in the Pearl District! It’s been really busy around the shop trying to get the new space ready and making double the amount of Garnish designs to fill 2 shops! Look forward to a variety of different fabrics and accessories at the two locations. You may see a dress you love on Alberta street and it will likely be available in the Pearl shop in a different fabric. You will just have to visit both shops on a frequent basis to keep track of all the goodies! In addition, we will try to keep you updated through facebook and the blog …. Here are a few pics of the progress so far!
Older Posts »
May 15th, 2012
We just received the keys to our new space in the Pearl!
We will keep you updated on some of our projects for the new location, like the custom cutting table (yes, Erica is designing and building it), the decor, the custom welded dressing room frames…..the list is endless and we have plenty of work to do but are excited about our beautiful plans for the space and look forward to sharing them with you!
(And here’s a peek at the new space!)