We are so thankful for all of the orders for masks from Garnish! A few things about them...
Your mask is NOT pre-washed so you may wish to do that before wearing it. Masks can be washed either in the machine or by hand washing it in hot water. You may wish to let it air dry and then you can pull it taught when it's still wet and it will not get as wrinkled. If you plan to wash your mask in the washing machine we offer laundry bags for sale here. Our masks come with a wire in the nose bridge which you may remove for washing. If you iron your mask, do not iron the elastic bands and do not iron the windows in the Window masks.
Many of our masks use Oeko-Tex Certified fabrics which means they are free of 100 nasty chemicals, making them good for the environment, the fabric producers, the seamstresses, and YOU!
LATEX -FREE ELASTIC
All of our newest designs contain latex-free elastic. It also does fine in the wash. Please adjust the elastic to a fit that feels good to you. (Note: our conversion kit elastic DOES contain latex at the moment.)
Our masks now include a wire in the nose bridge to help reduce glasses fogging. You may remove it if you prefer. Re-insert and remove as shown in image #3 below. Pro tip: wash glasses with a drop of Dawn detergent (original formula) to help reduce fogging. Window masks can also have a drop of Dawn added to the window to reduce fogging.
There is a pocket in the regular masks to insert a filter, should you choose to do so. Depending on what that filter is it may need to be removed for washing.
PUTTING ON YOUR MASK
- Clean your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer before touching the mask.
- Determine which side is the top of the mask. The top should have the elastic loop and the stiff bendable wire which is meant to be shaped around your nose. Even the strap ends to the same length if needed and make the top of the loop roughly 5 - 6" from the top of the mask as a starting point.
- Determine which side of the mask is the back (the side that will touch your mouth). The back has the slit where the filter can be inserted and wire can be removed or re-inserted.
- Hold the mask in your hand with the nose piece or top of the mask at fingertips, allowing the headbands to hang freely below hands. Bring the mask to your nose level and pull the top strap over your head so that it rests over the crown of your head. (Loop may need to be adjusted in length to achieve a proper fit). Pull the bottom straps so that they rest at the nape of your neck.
- Take the bottom ties, one in each hand, and secure with a knot at the nape of your neck ensuring a nice snug fit. It may take a couple tries to determine the elastic length that best fits you, but once achieved it does not need to be changed (although do not tie the knot too tight in case you do want to make minor adjustments).
- Mold or pinch the stiff top edge to the shape of your nose.
- Ensure bottom of the mask is securely over your mouth and chin. Your goal is no gaps (see photo #5).
- Once mask is adjusted properly it should be easier to take on and off, but remember to wash hands after handling mask.
HOW TO REMOVE A FACE MASK
- Clean your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer before touching the mask. Avoid touching the front of the mask. The front of the mask is contaminated. Only touch the bands. Pull bands over the top of the head if completely removing mask.
- If temporarily removing mask it can be worn around the neck. In which case pull top band down to back of neck.
These masks are not medical devices or personal protective equipment (PPE). They are for personal use and are not intended for use by health care professionals or for use in hospitals or health care facilities
Should you need more masks for yourself, friends, or family, we have them available here. We thank you in advance for your support! The purchase of masks by all of you is helping maintain at least 8 salaries here in PDX so that is something to be proud of.
Erica and the team at Garnish
p.s. When you get your mask if you want to post a photo on social media and tag @garnishapparel we’d LOVE it!